11 June 2008

Underseat Storage Lock

I put together a simple seat lock mechanism to hold the seat down and keep curious hands out of my underseat storage area...

It's almost too simple... voilà!









One nice thing about the location is that it doesn't interfere with the seat latch that comes OEM with the Ruckus.




A simple loop of steel cable fastened by two terminal crimps provide a quick and easy way of securing the seat to the built-in helmet lock.




It took me some time to determine the best location for such a beast.

The length of the cable is critical for the mechanism to work properly, so I recomend making a few different lengths and try each one for fit.

Fasten the assembly via the inside of the user manual compartment using a good size pop-rivet WITH a backing washer for support; fastening from the inside will seat the rivet flush to the wall, that way your scooter manual will fit back into place.

Works like a charm!

4 comments:

  1. I was looking for the same info about virtually identical & finally i got my answer from your post thanks for sharing this useful info.
    Underseat Storage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life should be open sourced... just like LINUX!

    Glad I could be of help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! What length is yours? I figure I'll get a hardware store to help me with this--get them to pre-cut and add the terminal crimps for me.

    Thanks for posting, this is exactly what I was looking for and all of the other Google results were for relocating the helmet lock to a lowered seat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info!!!

    I modified your idea a little and used a nut and bolt instead of a pop-rivet.

    Works great!

    ReplyDelete